Saturday, March 24, 2012

Why Don't Young Men Think They Need Protection?

This afternoon I dropped my 19 yr. old son off at the train station, on his way back into the city after spring break, and told him to be careful, like I usually do.

He gave me the usual look and said he had his weapons with him, raising his two fists. I just shook my head and warned him again, knowing that nothing I said would really matter.

He sees no need to carry a self defense product with him because he's a young, tall, strong man. What if he was attacked by several other young, strong men with weapons? I could think of a lot of other "what if's" but I tell myself he'll be OK.

As a woman, I carry the strongest pepper spray available on my key chain, and have other "things" in my purse so I feel safer.

Maybe the constant reminders to my son will sink into his brain and will be there to help him if he needs it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment